Friday, December 26, 2014

Never Eat at the Midwest Grill



            This evening my wife and I decided to order take-out for dinner. It’s been a long week; yesterday was Christmas, and now, stressed and exhausted, we just wanted to enjoy some delicious food that didn’t involve the usual cooking and cleaning of dishes, in the comfort of our own home. Being a longtime user of the online food service Foodler, I logged on to the site and searched for what I had my heart (and stomach) set on: fried chicken. Living in Cambridge, MA, one of the first cities in the country to ban trans-fat, and surrounded by a bunch of anorexic yuppies, the search was not overly fruitful. There is no equivalent of KFC nearby, although one used to stand a block away from where I now live and type this. The only type of fried chicken around is chicken wings; and who doesn’t love chicken wings? Ginger Exchange has some terrific bon-chon, but the rest of their food is decently mediocre and the wings themselves make the order take 45 minutes. What I really wanted was a bucket of breaded, deep-fried drumsticks, breasts, and wings… no dice.
            Living in Inman Square for almost two years now, we have always been intrigued by the Widwest Brazilian Grill on Cambridge Street, but for some reason had not yet tried it. They, too, offered only wings in the way of fried chicken, but I decided to take a peek at their menu just the same. It certainly looked better than most of the food around here; I was in the mood for barbecue and lots of meat. The plates, for 14 bucks each, offered rice, beans, salad and fries, along with your choice of meat: I went with the eight-piece chicken wings, and my wife ordered the grilled lamb. I wanted to be lazy and get delivery, but my wife insisted it was just a few blocks away, so I agreed to pick it up. I submitted the order and waited for my confirmation email, which arrived promptly, telling me to come pick up the food in 25 minutes. Now, it’s my fault I suppose for using an online ordering service on the day after Christmas; something was bound to go wrong. I knew the estimated time was very often less than how long it actually took (especially at aforementioned Ginger Exchange, in Inman Square.) And yet, I also knew that the confirmation meant that a human being at the restaurant had acknowledged my order, and under the assumption that they would at least tell the cook to start making our food, I got ready to go out and get it, arriving at exactly the time I was told the food would be ready. When I walked in, nobody was behind the counter, but a waitress came up and I told her I was here for an order I had placed online. She looked around behind the counter and found the receipt of my order from Foodler, looked at the young cook who had suddenly materialized next to her, and read the order off to him. I felt something was off from the get-go, but I rationalized that she was just letting him know which order I was here for, and hoping that it would be ready soon. The waitress told me to have a seat, giving me the impression that it would be ready in a few minutes. I wasn’t crazy about sitting and waiting, but assumed it would be about 5 or 10 minutes… which turned out to be the case, the proverbial “5, 10 minutes” of the classic Seinfeld episode.
            I saw the waiter go to another part of the restaurant several times and return with different containers of food, so I thought he was getting the order together piecemeal, and that any moment now it would be ready to go. Then I saw another employee taking his sweet time attempting to open a plastic bag to put some of the containers in it. When he finally took the bag and went outside, I imagine to make a delivery, I approached the counter to see what the hell was going on. I had been certain that must have been my order; and yet clearly it was not. The cook, most likely sensing my impatience, assured me that it was almost ready. After a few minutes, he all of a sudden confessed to me that they didn’t have any lamb when I had made my order. I didn’t really understand what he meant, and I’m still not sure I do completely. Apparently, however, they had had to bring out some more lamb, in order to begin cooking it…which they were just finally doing now.
            I demanded he clarify: was he just bringing out the cooked lamb, to put in my container that I might go home to eat with my wife, or was he just now putting the lamb in order to start cooking it?
            The latter.
            I asked how long he thought it would take and he just shrugged his shoulders. I am generally exceedingly patient in situations like these, but at this point I became incredulous and demanded that I be given a cash refund on the spot. Why was I told to sit down when I walked in, as if my food would be ready any minute, when in fact they had not even begun to cook it? If they were out of lamb, why wasn’t I given a phone call and asked if, I dunno, maybe I would like the steak instead? There was absolutely no communication, and I was not treated like a customer at all, although I was, a customer who had already paid for my food. And yet they had not even begun to make it! I told the waitress to give me back what I paid in cash, as I had already made a credit card payment to Foodler, a third party who was paying them for me. She went in the back and (presumably) spoke to her manager, who she claimed told her that I had to go back on the web to cancel the order with Foodler. Incredible! I reached over the counter and grabbed the receipt from my order, to get Foodler’s phone number so I could call them then and there to make sure. Foodler’s operator answered promptly and when I explained the situation she said that she would have to call the restaurant to confirm with them. She put me on hold and I heard the restaurant’s phone ring immediately; however, it took a while for anyone to pick it up. After the waitress did speak to the woman from Foodler, she told me that the order had been cancelled, but I waited for Foodler to come back on the line with me just to make sure. I turned and walked out the door, never to look back. After almost two years of me living in the area, they were about to gain a potential regular customer from right down the street; instead they lost my business before they ever got it. Not once did a manager even come out to speak to me; the waitress told me at one point that she was not responsible, to which I replied, observingly, that no one seemed to know what they were doing at all…and this is forgivable, it being the day after Christmas at all. But at least try and acknowledge your customer. I have worked in the business of customer service for over seven years, and this was not it at all. The cook also tried to look at the receipt (for some reason several people kept asking for it back, but I refused to relinquish the proof of what I had paid them until I had the order cancelled) to see what time I made the order, self-righteously claiming that they had fifteen minutes to get it ready…to which I replied, I waited the 25 minutes their email had told me to, came in, was told to wait, which I did for another 20 minutes, and they were just now preparing to cook my food? I ended up getting Pizza Pie-er, saving thirteen bucks, and still have leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment